Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth[_2_] Gareth[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing wooden floor in garden shed?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Gareth wrote:

The sides are easy enough to replace - there's only one side that has
rotted. Cost of replacing the side is about £25.
But the floor (again one side) has also rotted. This is more tricky. You
can't simply buy a replacement floor. My diy skills are not good and I'm
stumped. How to replace the rotten floor of a wooden shed (only the end
1/5 is rotten). I think that cutting out the rotten wood and adding good
wood to the existing good wood may be the answer but I'm probably talking
****.

Also the support floor to roof beams have rotted at the bottom but again
only on one side and only the last 6 inches or so of the beams.

This all sounds familiar - I did just this last week with a shed... the
roof had gone, and so had half the floor, and the back corner affecting
two sides.

The price of a new (but very basic shed) is £125. The cost of repairing
the existing one is about £60 I think (maybe a bit more depending on the
cost of repairing the floor). My skills are also very poor indeed.

Well its a close run thing cost wise. However you will be able to repair
the shed to a much higher standard of construction than you can buy a new
one for.

Would it be easier to buy a new shed for £125 or repair the existing the
one for £60 to £70?

The way I did my one was:

snipped

Thanks everyone for the replies - a lot of things to think about!

The base is concrete and the rot has taken place on one side of the shed
where (over the years) leaves had collected (falling from a nearby tree).
This is going to be a difficult problem to solve - a daily job for a fair
part of the year.

Maybe I will take Bob's suggestion about the risk of a bodged repair
although I suppose it's also pretty easy to bodge a new installation too.

The idea of doing away with the floor completely and using stone chips does
sound very interesting.

Gareth.