Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak Tournifreak is offline

Default Replacing wooden floor in garden shed?

On Apr 3, 2:15*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 2, 11:53 pm, "Gareth" wrote:

I'm trying to replace rotten wood on a 6 by 4 wooden shed similar but not
exactly the same as this one:
Would it be easier to buy a new shed for £125 or repair the existing the one
for £60 to £70?

The easiest thing would be to buy a new shed from a company that will,
for a fee, put it up for you. *But the bad news is that getting the
shed might not be the end of your worries.

The problem with a replacement shed is that it will come flat packed
and you'll still need to put it up. *It also sounds like the base for
the existing shed isn't great. *Either its not giving enough air under
it for the wood to dry out or its directly on the ground and subject
to year round damp.

Putting a small shed up, for my experience, isn't to difficult but its
far better as a 2 man job. *Do you have anyone who could give you a
hand? *I've not had any experience of replacing the floor of a shed
but if you are buying a new shed of a similar size that would give you
a new floor. *But by this time you'd be pulling the old shed to bits
and probably be better just using the new shed. *Maybe keep some of
the old shed for spares if you have storage and it looks similar.

If you do get a shed its worth getting the base sorted with a slight
slope to prevent water gathering. *Dry set slabs should be fine and
there are a number of internet guides to laying paving. *Its largely
going to be hidden by the shed on top of it so even if you DIY isn't
great any mistakes won't be very visible though you'd perhaps risk the
shed being wobbly.

My previous shed was on a base of paving slabs with a gentle run off
for each end slabs but with the middle slabs perfectly flat. *I didn't
take into account how strong the wind was in the area I built the shed
and storms would result in a big pool of water on the flat center
slabs that took days to dry. *While it only led to a puddle every now
and again it still led to part of the floor rotting. *It was a cheaper
shed and I suspect more expensive ones would have better protection
for the wood.

Fod

OK, how about this: Rather than have a wooden floor which will always
be susceptible to rot, have a stone-chip floor instead. Put the shed
down on a line of bricks so the sides aren't in contact with the
ground and fill the inside with an inch or 2 of some sort of stone/
gravel.

No problems with drainage (you can even do wet stuff in your shed
then!)
No rot
Lasts for ever
Cost comparable to 18mm OSB
Almost no skill required!

I'm thinking of doing this for my new home-made lean-to / shed thing.
Good/bad idea? Any comments?

Jon.