Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Stainless steel strength equivalence to soft aluminum?

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

"Bob's my cat" wrote:

Thanks for the information.

I don't know that I would worry about elasticity before I figured
out the load capacity of the glued joint. From the above
description, it sounds like the ends are making epoxy butt joints
to perpendicular flat plates. Even if the metal is strong enough,
the bays will deflect, prying at the glue joints. The leverage is
quite large, far exceeding the strength of any available epoxy.

Sorry for not being explicit... my meaning of "glued" was "it's not
going anywhere".

What is meant by "buckle"? Deflect visibly, or completely
collapse, dropping the load onto the floor?

Less than permanently deforming. Being able to absorb shock without
moving/deflecting would be nice, but I suppose that's not possible.

What is the application here?

Hopefully, whatever the material ends up being, it will support
Delrin rods under my skate frame as stopgaps in between the wheels.
Whatever the impact, the ends of the upside down U will be prevented
from moving outwards.

Sorry if I'm not specific enough, but that's because designs here
change from day to day. Sometimes I have to start the project before
the design is complete because the design part is so much fun and
otherwise the building part would never happen.

Joe Gwinn