Posted to rec.woodworking
schooner schooner is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

"schooner" wrote in message
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3 WASH &
WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the
suggestion of the HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable
finish. The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and
then two coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The surface is
dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes. From reading I
understand this may be an issue with latex paints and known as blocking.
It has only been 3 days since the final coat was put on so perhaps it is
just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond repainting?
Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for the live of the
paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the is a semigloss black
finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess. For wax what would be the
bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

Just a follow up that I received from CIL directly via an email to support
in case anyone was interested:

"Although the product is dry to touch - it will take up to 30 days for a
paint film to fully cure.

Paints with high levels of colorants (such as a tinted black) it will remain
soft for 7 to 10 days until all the water and other components have fully
dried out of the paint film. It would not be uncommon for a freshly painted
surface such as this show blocking as you noted.

I would suggest allowing the surface to dry at least 10 days before placing
objects with a definite weight to them in the surface."

Seems the black tint may be leading to the longer cure time.