Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Bandsaw tensioning

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:12:33 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"eganders" wrote

BUT, I want experiences from people that have really TRIED this. Has
anyone measured the true tension on a Delta saw with a strain gauge
mechanism, calipers, shop made jig or some other scientific method and
can relate their ACTUAL experiences??? Does the standard Delta spring
collapse or not at 15,000 psi??

I use an Iturra bandsaw tension gauge to set my Delta 14", but neither I,
nor anyone else, can answer your question with any authority because we
don't have your particular spring to test and we would be guessing at best.

Bandsaw tension springs, even when new, can vary as much as 30% in tension
pressures.

With the old Delta spring you would be lucky to get 15,000 psi on the Delta
14". But apparently with the newer springs (since circa 2005/6, IIRC), you
can, even to the point of exceeding the capacity of your bandsaw, to its
detriment.

Good point. At that point for sure and even prior to that point,
other things start to give. For instance, at the time of the change
mentioned above, one of the things measured was the deflection of the
overarm to determine if the whole package would work. Like any
mechanical device, just adding a tougher component (spring, HP of
motor, wider blade, etc.) will only get you so far and then the
weakest link limits.

FYI, at the time of those changes, actually a little earlier than you
stated, the domestic Delta overarm had the least deflection when
tested against the imported units, competitor or Delta. Don't know
how they would stack up presently.

This is according to the information in Louis Iturra's 2006 catalog.

A good source.

Frank

You might want to call them for a copy ... basically an essential source of
information for owners of the Delta and Jet 14" light duty models.

1-866-883-8064

.. and by all means, get some kind of blade tension gauge if you plan on
getting the maximum performance out of your light duty bandsaw, particularly
when resawing. Not putting the proper tension on the resaw blade is like
putting a new set of tires on a racing car and guessing at the tire
pressure.