Rob Stokes

Default Shop safety

Couple of thoughts...

Assuming you have a sub-panel in the shop, you could get a locking cover (or
add a traditional pad lock) making sure you kill the breakers when you leave
and lock the panel behind you. This way you don't have to shut power to the
whole panel and can leave lighting etc. circuits on.

If that doesn't work, you can get standard "safety switches" manufactured by
companies such as Square-D etc. You can route the feed to a specific circuit
through these and shut them off, locking them out with a pad lock as needed.

You can also get industrial switching components (switches, key switches,
pilot lights etc) that can be made into a panel but this can get costly in a
hurry (this would be the coolest *looking* option though!).

Go down to your local electrical wholesaler (NOT...Home Depot or other
building center) and explain what you're trying to do. This requirement may
be new to you, but not to them and I'm pretty sure they'll come up with
something for you.

Good luck
Rob

"Gren" wrote in message
.. .
I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not there

and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.