Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Plans to build a Trailer for a Motorcycle to tow?

RainLover wrote:
Hey everyone,

I want to build a trailer that my motorcycle can tow. I'm hoping to
create it from aluminum, but I've never built ANY trailer and any and
all (well, most all) suggestions from the group would be gladly
accepted.

I'm unsure about the axle / wheel set up for something this small and
finding a pre-made trailer that I could modify is nearly impossible
without spending a fortune.

This trailer will be a flatbed approximately 2 1/2 feet wide and 5'
long. I suspect I'll never be carrying more than 250 pounds on it.

I'm a sculptor and sometimes I need to head to a gallery 300 miles
away... so, I thought, why drive my 6000 pound truck when I can ride
my 45 mpg motorcycle.

Thanks!

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth

www.jameskelseystudios.com

When my son was at senior school here in the UK aged 15/16, some 10 yrs ago
he built just such a trailer for his school CDT project in his summer
holidays. to go behind his honda CB 185.
The first thing he had to do was look up the transport regulations as to
what maxsize ie length width and gross weight applied.
Once these paremeters were in place I made him design this trailer
around a de dion axle ,panard rod and 2 rear 185 suspension units.
also 2 front cb 185 front wheels with solid aluminium disks pressed
into the brake drums machined to take 2 bearings a larger inner and
smaller outer.
the trailer frame was 1,1/2. by 1/8th bed iron, arc welded up all
filled in with 1/2in marine ply. We ran out of bed iron and I suppied
him with proper mild steel.!! he berated me for making him weld the
most difficult of iron first!!
All part of his training.
Then he had to make up the "U" bracket to connect the trailer to the tow
point behind the rear wheel.

Looked very smart when it was finished, his cdt master at his school
didnt believe he made it. I had to write to his school pointing out what
he had done and how he had done it.

But of course hes my son! and already had a 14 yr engineering
appenticeship here since he was 2 yrs old.
Not only can he use all my machinery but I have made him think out
technical solutions to problems like his trailer.
If any of you have sons teach them all you know best investment you can
make.

ted
Dorset
UK