Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

On Apr 2, 7:58 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

My uncle hired the neighborhood boys to do it during the depression. I
eventually bought the house and had a basement because of their work. I
also had a lot of neighbors who remembered all the good my uncle had done as
they or their boyfriends had done much of that work and that is how they
came up with a dollar or two during the depression for a date. My uncle had
a few dollars as he was retired navy.

The way the economy is going, we may be back to that soon.

You're going to hire neighborhood boys and put in a sub-basement...?
I think you might be sinking money in that house.

To the OP: there's not a lot you can get in to a foot high space to
help out. You don't mention how much work you need to do and how deep
you are planning on going. In similar situations where people are
digging out a basement they'll open up a foundation wall and excavate
a ramp so they can get a Bobcat in.