Posted to rec.woodworking
dwolf[_2_] dwolf[_2_] is offline

Default white dust in the grain from final finish sanding

No it's dust....

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 10:37 am, "dwolf" wrote:
I have a client who likes his final coat sanded with the 500 grit pads..
He
likes it over my final rub which is steel wool and wool lube.. Yes his
approach is smoother, but because we are not using grain filler and don't
really want that look, and all of his pieces are dark woods, we end up
with
that final sanding dust in the grain where it stays. I wet sand with
mineral
spirits.. I wipe the piece dry and then apply a liberal amount of more
spirits and wash the piece off and then I use air, but still some dust
gets
in the grain and stays.. I friend who is a finisher, say's yup, that can
be
a problem. When it happens to him he will use a colored wax to cover up
the
dust.. But he usually fills his grain, so it's not much of a problem..
One thought would be to try to spray a good sanding sealer firsts...
I use Campbells Duravar three coats..
Anyone else have this issue.. ?
Any thoughts ?

Joel

Is it dust or just torn wood fibers reflecting light to appear as
dust?
If so a cabinet scraper is the toll you need.