Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default How to drill straight?

Jim Yanik wrote:

Boden wrote in :

Robert Allison wrote:

Pat wrote:

A 5/8" hole through a 4" wide beam reduces the load capacity by 1/4.
Unless your beam is oversized you may damage it enough to cause it to
fail.

Please don't top post.

In addition, I would like to hear from the engineers in here about the
validity of the above statement. I do not believe it for a minute.
This is done quite often and I would be surprised to learn that it
compromises the integrity of the beam. Unless you meant to say by 1/4
of 1 percent.

It depends on more information than is provided here but the load
carrying capacity is decreased by AT LEAST 16% and it could be 25%. The
smart thing would be to not drill this hole.

Boden, PE

On a LAMINATED beam?

Yes.