Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Strange sink faucet connections

"fpbear" wrote in message
. net...
I have replaced many sink faucets but this one has me perplexed.

I went to my mom's house to take a look at a broken faucet valve stem.
I'd like to swap it out with a new wide spread set, but the faucet looks
like it is built into the porcelain of the sink itself! The pop-up is
entirely contained within a compartment of the underside of the sink. I
have no idea how I would replace the spout or if this is even possible.

Maybe I could just replace the stems and handles but I wonder if the metal
tubes from the spout would align properly or be the right size.

I can't replace the sink tub because it is overlaid on its perimeter with
a fancy tile job.

Here are some pictures from underneath. It is interesting. The home was
built in the 1950s.

http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/sink01.JPG

http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/sink02.JPG

http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/sink03.JPG

http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/sink04.JPG

Sinks with built-in faucets were not uncommon in those days. I would make
every effort to repair the existing faucet even if I had to have a new stem
made. Otherwise you will have a major job to retrofit the faucet or replace
the sink.

Don Young