Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gobofraggle@gmail.com is offline

Default Rewiring a Hardwired Smoke Detector WITH THE POWER ON

The unit is a line voltage unit, not low voltage. The smoke detector
is stand-alone and does not signal back to a building-wide alarm
system. And the new detector is compatible with the old one.

Someone mentioned that I should use a special screwdriver. Where can
I find something like this and what does it look like?

So as long as I don't touch two of the same wires at the same time,
I'll be OK? How can I not ground myself? If I'm on a ladder wearing
rubber-soled sneakers, would that take care of it?

On Apr 1, 7:59*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
I have a hardwired smoke detector that is old and outdated, that I'd
like to switch with a new unit. *The only problem is that I can't
shut
off the power to the alarm before I disconnect it and reconnect the
new one. *I'm going to have to do the take-down and installation
while
the power is LIVE.

I live in a high-rise apartment building and the smoke detector is
powered not by my unit's individual power, but off of a line brought
in from a common hallway. *There is no way to cut power to the smoke
detector without cutting power to all the lights in the common
hallway, which is impossible.

So, how can I safely (or as safely as possible) change this detector
with a new one? *If I don't touch certain wires together, will I be
OK? *What are the chances I would get shocked?

I know your first inclination will be to tell me to get the circuit
turned off or call an electrician, but please (at least
hypothetically) assume that neither of those options are possible.

Do you know if your smoke detector is "powered" by a 120 volt AC line or
by a low voltage line?

Do you know if the smoke detector sends a signal back to an alarm panel
to notify an alarm company that it's been tripped, or does it just sound
off in your place?

Do you know whether your "new" detector will be electrically and
operationally compatible with the existing system(s) in all respects?

If you aren't certain about all the above, stay away from that job.

Further, I'd suggest you'd be much better off taking the matter up with
the apartment building's management (if you haven't already) before you
do anything to the existing detector. I'd hazard a guess that they have
the right to be in control of things like that.

Play it safe, guy.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia