Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Taming my Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw

beecrofter wrote:
On Mar 31, 2:20 pm, "JOE MOHNIKE" wrote:
Get the owners manuel.
However look at the guides in the arm, there should be 4 bearings
with some kind of adjustment screw, usualy an allen head screw.
Also you should use the RAS on a push not a pull. Climbing cuts
will
bind, jump and just mess things up.
Good lucl
Joe

If you use the proper blade for a swing saw the above statement is
pure BS

To control a radial arm saw use a blade with about 5 degrees
negative
hook.

Hook angle can be determined by placing a straight edge across the
center of the blade , 0 hook will have the tooth face line up with
the straight edge, negative hook will have it pitch back a bit.
A rip blade for the TS has about 20 degree positive hook.

I've never had any problem with any blade in my RAS. I've certainly
never had it "bind, jump, and just mess things up", and I've never
done a push cut on it--that seems like asking for trouble. I do keep
the carriage bearings adjusted so that I have to apply a little force
in either direction to move it. If the carriage is sloppy then you'll
have problems and it doesn't matter what kind of blade you're using.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)