B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default PC 690LR vs. PC 690LRVS question

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:47:46 -0700, "Ming Chiou"
wrote:

I'm new to woodworking and was wondering which router get for general
purpose use, the 690LR or the 690LRVS? What would be the advantage of
having a variable speed router? My first project will be making some flat
panel doors for some linen cabinets.

Thanks,
Ming

Buy the variable speed, you'll be glad you did.

Larger bits need to be slowed down for safety. The variable speed
can also be used to slow things down during difficult cuts or in
easily burt woods.

Variable speed routers also usually have "soft start" which is a
feature that you might not appreciate until you have it. Soft start
allows the router to take a few seconds to come up to speed, rather
than going instantly fro 0-22,000 rpm when you flick the switch.

Barry