Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting -Solutions?

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:51:39 +0000, schooner wrote:

Thanks. It is not tacky to the touch like a semi dry paint soon after
applying, it is just tacky when something of weight is placed on it for
a few minutes. No paint is coming off, it just seems a bit sticky on
moving the object.

Like I stated previously, not much experience.

Recent project - display cabinets for gallery/store. Original finish was
wax over shellac, de-waxed, painted with oil-based paint. Not tacky with
heavy objects after long periods of time. Sun exposure.

Past project - small dresser converted to shop cabinet, quick strip and
sand, painted with latex paint, not tacky with heavy objects after long
periods of time. Occasional damp, high humidity, garage. It was for the
shop, I had free latex and I didn't care, otherwise I never would have
chosen a latex for a high humidity location.

I had to look it up, never seen the problem. Wax or oil-based paint
finish was recommended. I'm just guessing here, but the thinness of coats
applied with the airbrush are probably why I haven't experienced it.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...xblocking.html

From what I read the problems is one or more of;
bad paint
bad surface prep
too thick of application

Try drying first then wax, otherwise after 30 days if the problem still
exists I would strip and re-paint. Quick covering problems often doesn't
work for me. YMMV