Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Plasterboarding a Ceiling

Jim wrote:

Thanks for the tip about the shroud driver, I'll stick that on the Screwfix
order. Will the 3.5mm x 38mm Screwfix drywall screws be OK or should I go
longer

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12984/...ews-3-5-x-38mm

For half inch board directly onto joists 25mm is enough. If you are
going through another layer as well then 38 sounds good.

Out of interest what's the alternative (if any) to skimming a ceiling. I've
never tackled anything bigger than a small patch so would have to get a
plasterer in for the work, if this could be avoided so much the better.

Using taper edge board with scrim and filled joints. Slightly easier to
do, but requires some sanding to get the final finish. If done well it
can look very good (pretty much standard practice for shop fitting these
days).

--
Cheers,

John.