Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Fishing 240v Wire

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:44:53 -0700, The Midnight Gardener The
Midnight Gardener wrote:

I need to fish some 240v wiring as follows: From the breaker panel
into an existing 3/4 inch conduit that goes vertical umtil it hits the
ground. Once in the ground it nakes several 90 degree turns until it
comes back out of the ground about 25 feet away. A great portion of
the underground run is in conduit that is under concrete. There are
wires in the conduit now but they are the wrong guage for what I am
trying to do. What is the easiest way to remove the old wiring and
then run new wiring without tearing everything up?

Pulling the wires out one at a time will probably be hard to do.

The most practical way would be to pull out the old wire with a string
attached to the wire. Use the string to pull in a pull rope that
would be reusable.

Pulling out the old wire will give you a chance to measure the length
for the new wire.

Don't forget to use wire soap. It really helps one person is pushing
on the wire while the other is pulling. 1,2,3 pull 1,2,3 pull

There is a limit to how many wires you can put in a 3/4 pipe. I am
guessing that because the existing pipe is in concrete you may find
out what that limit is.

I am not sure what the record is. Let us know.