Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Heating the garage shop

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 00:49:18 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 8:18 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:16:59 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon
Fisk quickly quoth:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:43:38 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
snip

Scary thought. BUT, did you know that there is more forested land in
the USA today than there was 100 years ago? (there are more cities but
many fewer farms, so much of the land has been reforested.

Could you provide a cite for that claim...I would like to read it.

Too_many_Trolls, I have you filtered but saw your request when reading
Ed's reply to you. I otherwise wouldn't have seen it. I won't be
quoting pages because I'd rather you fear mongers read the whole book
so you'd have at least _some_ factual data to spout in the future.

_Earth Report 2000_ by Ronald Bailey

In the past many states were totally forested...not the case today.

Cite? (Please have someone quote you, TMT.)

--snip of Ed's cite--

It appears to me that we have a mistaken image of what the landscape looked
like in the US, in regions that were farmed. The farmers cut those suckers
down in all directions. I can't speak for other areas, but here in the most
densely populated part of the country there are many more trees today than
there were even 200 years ago.

Yeah, it seems like everyone was building homes, bridges, railroads,
and stacks of firewood for every home way back then. Every single
homestead, every single day of their adult lives. When only half a
dozen people around here have woodfires burning in the morning, the
whole valley stinks up with smoke. I can't imagine how bad it would be
if everyone burned wood every day for heating, cooking, and watching.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.