Posted to rec.woodworking
BoyntonStu BoyntonStu is offline

Default Taming my Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw

On Mar 31, 6:01 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:19:52 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:
mac davis wrote:
That was a really hard concept for me at first.. Totally backwards from a
table saw...

Wasn't tough for me... my first big tool *was* a radial arm saw. I honestly
don't see what the big deal is about pulling the blade towards me. It's not
like it's going to suddenly jump the track and shoot out past the table and into
me. I have one hand to the left side of the blade holding the work piece down
and my right hand has the handle of the RAS. If it binds, so what? It's not
going to break my arm.

Being brought up with table saws in my dad's sign shop, the idea of the RAS
rotating the blade tips to the rear was hard to get used to...

I know I'm probably the only one to ever do this, but on my first blade change,
I but the blade on backwards..

You sure appreciate it, though, when something binds and the work is forced
against the fence and not shot out the front..

There is that, too. I have a respect for every tool I own but the RAS is no
worse than any other as far as safety goes.

I think it's a lot safer to rip long pieces on than the TS, if you have a good,
long table.. Also, the "line of fire" if you get kick back is off to the side of
the saw, nowhere near where I'm standing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Are you saying that it is better to rip feeding stock to the blade
coming to you because it cannot kickback?