Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 6mm^2 T&E in conduit

Andy Wade wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

No they switch both live and neutral

Not necessarily, and most are single-pole switched.

Apologies for making an assumption then. The only ones I had examined
closely were two pole switched devices - but that was a while ago, and I
don't recall the actual brand.

- the neutral of the circuit has to pass through them as well as the
live (makes sense when you think how they work). So they switch
both.

That's a non-sequitur. Just because the neutral passes through doesn't
necessarily mean it's switched.

No indeed, very true.

Both single- and double-pole switched RCBOs are available. Generally
speaking 2-module width ones are DP and 1-module width ones are SP,
although that rule might not hold universally. Manufacturers'
literature should make the situation clear though.

The ones I looked at were the two module ones.

(although going back to the OPs question, even a single pole RCBO solves
the discrimination issue for the freezer, and single pole RCD protection
is still a significant advance on none (for situations that warrant it)).

--
Cheers,

John.