Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garbage disposal

aspasia wrote in message ...
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:47:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message
I have a 5 yr. old Insinkerator (Badger5) garbage disposal. It still
turns - but doesn't grind up anything. Is this about the average age
of a garbage disposal? I will go shopping for one in the next few
days and would like to know whether to get another one like this or
switch to something else.

What sorts of things is it NOT grinding? I'm asking because many years
ago,
I discovered that a disposal will not handle kale stems, for instance.
Rather, it will spin them into rope strong enough to anchor an ocean
liner.
If you've been putting any sort of tough vegetable stems into the
disposal,
some of them may have wrapped themselves around the hammers (the parts
that
do the grinding). That would prevent any subsequent food from being ground
up properly.

This takes me back decades to the ultimate nightma 13 coming for
Thanksgiving dinner next day - I put CELERY down the disposal.
Will spare you the rest of the nightmare scenario...

Aspasia

Amazing, isn't it? But, we know that rope was made from plants at one time.
We know that celery can take forever to chew, and kale stems would need to
be cooked for eleven years to be edible. And still, it takes an incident for
us to learn.