Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Taming my Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw

LRod wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:20:04 -0800, "JOE MOHNIKE"
wrote:

Also you should use the RAS on a push not a pull.

That is not correct for a RAS. Always pull the carriage from its
position behind the fence. Yes, it's a climb cut. Yes, that's how it
was designed. No, it's not difficult to manage.

Also, the newer Craftsman RAS has a feature called "Control Cut" which
is a motor controlled cable that only allows the carriage to advance a
an adjustable speed. If you don't pull the trigger on the carriage
handle, you can't pull the carriage towards you.

Before I got mine to replace my old Wards PowrKraft, my technique was
(and still is) to place my left hand on the work piece to the left of
the blade and keeping my right arm straight, pull the carriage by
rolling my right shoulder back. The old RAS motor was controlled by a
trigger on the carriage handle, so you could easily stop the motor
without releasing your grip on the carriage handle. The new Craftsman
motor switch is on the end of the arm, so the control cut feature makes
things safer.

Also, the carriage bearings should be adjusted so there is some
resistance in carriage movement and for sure so there is no side to side
play in the carriage. This helps to control the carriage if there is a
bind.