Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Right-angle drills

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:17 am, "EXT" wrote:
I have a Bosch 1132VSR right angle corded drill. It is about 3"
from
the tip of the chuck to the back of the housing with much of the
chuck recessed into the metal housing. It would be hard to find any
other with smaller measurements.

So close. I should have mentioned I'm drilling 1/2 holes in
lightweight concrete, so I need a 1/2 chuck.

No, you don't. Get reduced shank bits. Mcmaster has them with
drilling depths as low as 2 inches (look at the hex shank hammer bits
for that length with a 3/8 shank).

Stopped at the local
rental place they had what looked like a PC (no lables) and it was
about 6" from chuck face to back. The Hilti's were all monsters.

I figure I will spend more on bits than anything else in this
project. I will have to go about 5" deep so I will probably need
three different length bits since I can only go ~1 1/2" deep at a
time
with the Milwaukee. I *only* need to drill about 10 holes this way
so
if it takes a long time and burns up a bit or two I can deal with
it.
I'm just surprised that the MW r-angle drill is so big and nobody
seems to make a smaller one.

If you go with a 3/8 drill you can get a lower profile. Half inch
angle drills are designed for torque, not compactness. Also, take a
look at air drills.

If you're working in a confined space with an angle drill then you
might want to consider drilling undersized then reboring with larger
bits--if you can't get any force behind it a half inch masonry bit in
a non-hammer drill is going to be very slow going.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)