Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Penn State Turn Around Time?

In article
writes:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:18:59 GMT,
lid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

It's a Jet mini currently on a workmate clone. I'll build a stand after I get the height figured out

(and get the to-do list shortened).
I *think* it is centered around elbow height, but I need to double check.

Ok.. when I was using the mini on my workmate, it was way too low... I put it on
a couple of 4x4's and it seemed about right..

When I checked, it turned out that I had it lower than I believed.
I pulled it up about 1.5", but I haven't had a chance to run it at
that height. (I'm supposed to be building a closet.)

Funny thing about elbows, they move around and don't always cooperate
with measuring.

I also suggest that folks starting out consider doing pens...
As a "bowl turner", I refused to consider pens until my wife bought me so much
pen turning stuff one Valentine's Day that I had to do some..

I was thinking that I wouldn't be interested because they are so
small. But when the chisels showed up, the only thing I could find
to mount quickly ended up about 1" when round. After trying some
things on that, small didn't seem like such a bad thing.

I need to make a Woodcraft run this weekend, and I'll probably look
at what they have for DVDs onhand. I've already watched some youtube
clips that someone (Charlie?) recently posted to rec.woodworking,
and I realized that the visuals helped a lot on angles and motions.
Time for another wander through Darrell's site as well.

Not an ad, but I would really recommend Bill Grumbine's Basic Bowl Turning DVD..
It's inexpensive and I wish I had found something like that 20 years ago...
Hell, I watched a little of the DVD and found that I had been holding the chisel
wrong for years!

I saw that one, but before you posted. Maybe next trip. I picked
up two Raffan DVDs -- Wood Turning and Turning Projects. I watched
the first one (which he kept calling a "tape") mostly straight
through. I kept flipping between delight at what he was doing and
horror that he was turning that *entire* chunk of wood into shavings
and a throw away nub.

I definitely need to track down better (larger) sources of wood
than the occasional random rode-side discovery.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
http://www.furrfu.com/ |