Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default strange voltage

On Mar 30, 10:16*am, bgtcars wrote:
We have lived in this house about 9 years, and have found another
problem. Pulled a patch off wall in one back room that we never used
and found wiring that was stubed out, looked like a fixture may have
been there . checked voltage and it was 39.4 there is no switch
controling it that I can find. The light switch in the room is normal
and works good, where could you get that kind of voltage on a line
when the line voltage is 220 /110 service?

Obviously limited knowledge of electricity!
Not only that; the the type of wiring, method of measuring and type of
device (meter?) used is not specified!
For example; is it an 'induced' voltage due to disconnected wires
running through the same walls and possibly alongside working
electrical wiring?
The suggestion that maybe it's an old telephone circuit can not be
discounted. Or maybe a disconnected speaker citcuit? Insufficient
info. to comment.
Just hooking up a meter to some unknown wiring is a meaningless
exercise.