Posted to rec.woodworking
L d'Bonnie L d'Bonnie is offline

Default common lumber sizes?

NOSPAM wrote:
Can anyone point me to a website that would have a list of common lumber
sizes? I'm thinking about making a basic woodworking bench and I'd like to
compare common lumber sizes to various plans.

Being a newbie, whenever I get to my local lumber yard I get overwhelmed by
all the choices so tough to figure out what I want in advance. And when I
try to figure in the size difference between nominal and actual sizes my
head spins!

thanks in advance

How Basic? My workbenches are made out of 2x6 frame "ladders" covered
by plywood. The "steps" are 1 ft apart. You could stand up the frame
and use it as a ladder. 8' long, 24" wide

I've drilled 3/4' holes at regular intervals all along the top. They
are drilled through the plywood down into the side edge of the 2x6
steps. The holes drilled right through the 2x6 and are roughly 6 in
in depth.

I have a vice on the end.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...14&cat=1,41659

and at the front.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...659,41661&ap=1

The bench sides and vice jaws are 2x8 fir.

Basically looks like this.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...04&cat=1,41637

But with a plywood top and it appear to be 7 1/2 " thick (2x8 fir)

Solid as anything. Will outlast me.

LdB