Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default strange voltage

bgtcars wrote:

We have lived in this house about 9 years, and have found another
problem. Pulled a patch off wall in one back room that we never used
and found wiring that was stubed out, looked like a fixture may have
been there . checked voltage and it was 39.4 there is no switch
controling it that I can find. The light switch in the room is normal
and works good, where could you get that kind of voltage on a line
when the line voltage is 220 /110 service?

It may be that there is no direct connection here. The two wires you
are measuring may have been abandoned but since they are located along
with other energized wires you may be measuring a capacitive voltage
divider. I'd guess that you are using a high impedance volt meter that
doesn't load the circuit. Measure with a low impedance volt meter, or
load the circuit slightly...perhaps with a small load like a night-lite
(4 or 7 watts) clipped between the two wires you are measuring and the
measured voltage will probably drop to zero.