Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default Does size matter?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:26:55 -0500, "JD" wrote:

Get your minds out of the gutter.

I was wandering this morning, do small bowls sell better than large bowls?
On my Rikon, the largest I can turn is around 11-11 1/2 inches. I've sold
several that size, but many people walk through and comment on how pretty
the bowls are and then continue on their way. I wander if I had smaller
bowls, more or less trinket type bowls, would they purchase one of these.
I've not ventured into pen turning, doesn't look like something that would
interest me (actually haven't done it because wife said I can't spend any
more money for a while). I've turned very few small bowls, 4-6 inches, but
when looking through what I've got sitting here at the house, I've no small
bowls sitting around. Apparently, I sold them. I've lots of wood sitting
around that small bowls could be turned from, just haven't done so. Big
stuff is so much fun to turn.
Just wandering about other's experiences. Besides bowls, what do the rest of
you do with the collection of 4-8 inch sticks of wood you have lying around?
I've got a pile of apple that is just begging to be turned. I've looked
through several web sites trying to get ideas, but nothing really peaked my
interest. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JD

In my experience, small, fancy bowls are "art" or "pieces", and larger bowls are
to eat or serve salad and things out of... and of course, art demands a higher
price than utility..

My best selling items are small boxes, irregular or natural edge change dishes,
but vases, etc...

People look at and touch the big stuff, but if it's a large bowl, it won't sell
for much in my market..

I pretty much quit turning "bowls" shortly after moving to Mexico and getting
serious about selling my stuff... What sells well here is the things that people
display in the coffee table or whatever....

Goblets and wine glasses sold well for a while but now seldom sell..

Small (6 or 8") wing bowls have been selling well at outdoor shows, for some
reason..

Some folks sell a lot of garden dibbers or whatever, or honey dippers.. neither
sell well for me..

Surprisingly, I've sold qui tea few mushrooms in sets of 2 or 3 in different
sizes, for table decorations... never expected that and turned my first one
after about 20 years of turning..lol

Market and locale make a huge difference... are you in an art or utility market?

BTW: I sold a piece last week for $150.. I think that was a high for me, and it
was about 8" tall and maybe 9 or 10" diameter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing