Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default VCR damaged by AC overvoltage surge

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Jerry G." writes:

Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Why do you think other sections of the VCR are blown? It's usually
hard for a surge to get past a switchmode power supply. I had one where
someone plugged it into 230 VAC by mistake somehow and the only problem
was a
blown fuse.

Nothing against him personally, but I don't recall Jerry *ever* saying
anything besides "take it to a tech", or "throw it away and buy a new one"
in the years that I've been on here.

My own experience coincides with yours, power surges very rarely get past
the first or second stage of the power supply in any piece of equipment.
Unless it took a lightning strike, it's usually pretty simple to fix.

I repair many switchers in the course of my working life, and I would also
concur. The 'failure to restart after a power outage' syndrome is in my
experience, most often caused by either the small cap which decouples the
supply to the switch mode controller IC, or the high value startup
resistor(s). The one place where I have had a faulty switcher cause
additional damage, is in el cheapo supermarket DVD players, where failure of
under-rated secondary side filter electrolytics, can lead to the supply
being unable to regulate itself. This can result in the 5v or 12v rails
doubling, with the inevitable consequences to the LSIs dotted around on the
main board. This is a 'just out of interest' comment, and not to do with
power surges finding their way through switchers, of course ...

Arfa