Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default How to drill straight?

Pat wrote:
A 5/8" hole through a 4" wide beam reduces the load capacity by 1/4. Unless
your beam is oversized you may damage it enough to cause it to fail.

Please don't top post.

In addition, I would like to hear from the engineers in here
about the validity of the above statement. I do not believe it
for a minute. This is done quite often and I would be surprised
to learn that it compromises the integrity of the beam. Unless
you meant to say by 1/4 of 1 percent.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I need to drill a 5/8" diameter hole through a laminated beam that is 16"
deep. This beam is sitting 10 feet above the floor across a room support
part of the roof. So I will be standing on a bench drilling from below
pushing the drill up.

I need this hole to be perfectly vertical as I will be passing a rod
through for a ceiling fan.

I know in the past when I had to drill through something much thinner like
a 2x4, I often end up with a slanted hole.

What can I do to ensure my drill is perfectly vertical?

I cannot afford to make a mistake and redrill.

Thanks,

MC

--
Robert Allison