Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Moving a refrigerator

Terry wrote:

I plan to buy a new refrigerator. I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

Is it bad to lay it over in the bed of the truck, or should I try to
move it standing?

I don't really have anywhere to load or unload it upright. I will
almost have to lay it on it's side to get it in the truck.

It's perfectly fine to lay it down horizontally, generally back down for
most. You do have to let it sit upright for some time, at least 4 hours,
preferably overnight before repowering it. The actual issue with laying
it down is that the oil that is in the compressor can flow out into the
refrigerant lines where it will effectively form a clog as well as not
being in place to lube the compressor if the compressor is powered.
Letting the unit sit upright again allows the oil to flow back into the
compressor where it belongs.