Posted to rec.woodworking
Chiefwoodworker Chiefwoodworker is offline

Default Tool Cabinet

Thanks guys for the feedback. rest assured I will use bits and pieces
of all. I have seen the Studley tool chest. It makes me dizzy just
trying to locate the one out of 300 tools I may be reaching for. But
the workmanship is unbelievable. I keep you posted as I proceed and
make progress.

Joe
www.srww.com

On Mar 29, 8:48 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Chiefwoodworker wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am in the process of designing a tool cabinet to hold my most
precious hand tools. I figure it will be approximately 4' wide by 3'
tall by 8 to 12" deep, with two doors. It will hold hand planes from
24" jointer to my smallest block plane and many in between. It will
also hold marking tools, chisels, measuring tools, screw drivers
etc.

Do any of you have a SketchUp model or ideas or suggestions or
pictures of one that I might look at? I will share the final model
and
pictures with the group when I have completed it.

For a one-shot, find an area that you can work in that's big enough to
encompass the area of the cabinet and the open doors. Draw an outline
of the cabinet and doors. Now start fitting stuff. When you think
you've got it all fitted, you might want to mock it up with partitions
using foamcore and hot melt (the reason you do that is that with
foamcore and hot melt it's easy to change things if it turns out that
something doesn't quite work). Then you can take dimensions off the
mockup and if you didn't screw up along the way everything should fit.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)