Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default How to drill straight?

MiamiCuse wrote:

I need to drill a 5/8" diameter hole through a laminated beam that is 16"
deep. This beam is sitting 10 feet above the floor across a room support
part of the roof. So I will be standing on a bench drilling from below
pushing the drill up.

I need this hole to be perfectly vertical as I will be passing a rod through
for a ceiling fan.

I know in the past when I had to drill through something much thinner like a
2x4, I often end up with a slanted hole.

What can I do to ensure my drill is perfectly vertical?

I cannot afford to make a mistake and redrill.

Thanks,

MC

If it were me, I would drill the hole through the beam, then hang
the ceiling fan from the beam and use the hole for just the wire.

In the off chance that you MUST do it like you are stating, then
there isn't really an inexpensive method of making SURE that it
is perfectly plumb. I would assume that you are using an auger
bit. If so, then you can take a block of wood say six inches
thick and, using a drill press, drill a hole straight through the
block. You can then use the block as a guide for your drill bit
to hold it square with the bottom of the beam.

I have also used torpedo levels to line up my auger bit, then
drilled by hand, checking every so often with the level to make
sure my bit is plumb. When I can't get the level on it anymore,
then it will usually guide itself the rest of the way.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.