Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default VCR damaged by AC overvoltage surge

"Jerry G." writes:

Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Why do you think other sections of the VCR are blown? It's usually
hard for a surge to get past a switchmode power supply. I had one where
someone plugged it into 230 VAC by mistake somehow and the only problem was a
blown fuse.

One also shouldn't discount the possibility that despite the fact that it
seemed to happen due to a problem with the Neutral, that the real reason
was that it had power off for awhile and was on the verge of dying from
bad caps. Seen that. Works fine until power is removed for a short time.