Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default VCR damaged by AC overvoltage surge

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
James / others

The neutral WAS connected. Some generators will work fine -- mine didn't.
(As a precaution I first did a test with a high-wattage bulb on one 120
and
low-wattage on the other an it appeared to be OK. The test wasn't
adequate.) Now I strap both 120V circuits together. I can't use anything
240V of course, but I can do without that for the limited time required.
Regards Jim H.

That sounds like something is screwy in the generator itself, are you sure
the neutral didn't break off internally from the 240V socket? I've only
dealt with a few of them, but every 240V generator I've used works just fine
powering both sides of the panel.