Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Musing about Palm Sunday, palm fronds, carnauba and all that.

No takers so far so I tried hi-speed burnishing/finishing a few more
spindles of various woods with palm frond strips.

The surfaces felt as smooth and looked as good as when buffed with the
tripoli-white diamond-wax 'system' and there were no brown smear or
white speck problems with light or dark colored woods. To me, they were
smoother than when burnished with sticks of ash & maple or shavings from
the spindle's timber, but I live in anecdote city way outside of
edvidence based county ....and I am often wrong.

Is this just burnishing or is it a free useful buffing 'system' where
palm trees grow? When the entire surface is involved, how do you tell
hi-speed burnishing from fine grit sanding or buffing?

What is burnishing anyway? Does it melt the cellulose fibers or harden
them or just lay them down to spring up and embarrass me later? Is it
nothing more than 'dry buffing? If so what about burnishing creams?
Does it have the reputation that using scrapers once had, a good
technique that no one admits to using and is unfairly belittled? Does
it not have a legitimate place in a woodturner's arsenal? Maybe someone
will straighten me out and even try the palm frond strips and report
their results, if only to shut me up.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter