Posted to rec.woodworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default MDF vs. Hardboard

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:38:59 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"The Davenport's" wrote in message
So...I need to make a cross cut sled and I have made them in the past
using tempered hardboard that was smooth on both sides...I'm having a very
hard time finding that stock now, altho I can find plenty of 1/4" MDF.
SO...for a sled, will MDF work out all right or should I keep looking for
the tempered hardboard?

If it was smooth on both sides it was MDF. The manufacturing process is
quite different but the end product is not. The 'tempering' I think refers
to the inclusion of oils in the hardboard recipe.

Tim w

Tempered hardboard is NOT MDF. It is SIMILAR but not nearly as dense -
it splits in layers - and it was available smooth one side, or smooth
both sides. Most common was smooth one side. The stuff used for the
backs on cheap knock-down /ship-flat furniture and the moulded backs
in cheap kitchen cabinets, as well as many hollow-core interior paint
grade doors. Was also the base of the majority of the cheap :wood
paneling" installed in the sixties and seventies.