Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe arrived!

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:23:43 -0400, Bill Schwab wrote:

What I believe to be the face plate is (if I gave it a fair shake with a
quick inspection) not a thing of beauty, but it should serve. Is that
for the lathe analog of clamping to a mill table? Dare I ask how to do
precision setups on it?

Guy Lautard has a good trick in one of his books - make a bit that
duplicates the nose of your headstock such that the faceplate will fit on
it; assemble and align anything tricky on the faceplate mounted on this bit
in a vise. This way you are not fighting gravity, and when it is just
right you take the faceplate+work off the bit and put them on the lathe.