Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Smoke detectors - separate breaker

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:56:35 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Richard Russell wrote:
In our (new build) house the three linked, mains (and battery)
powered, smoke detectors were supposed to be fed from a separate
breaker in the consumer unit. Except that they weren't - at some
point during the build the connection was broken and the only
practical way to restore operation was to wire them into the lighting
circuit instead. The electricians assure me it's perfectly OK to do
that, but what are the pros and cons of having a separate breaker for
the smoke detectors?

I don't think it's a big deal either way, given that there's battery backup.

Pro:
If the breaker for the lighting circuit trips for some reason, it takes
out the smoke detectors too

Con:
If a separate breaker for the smoke detectors should trip, it could go
unnoticed for months. ISTR someone on this group has this system with a
battery-backed emergency light wired into the smoke-detector circuit, so
if ever that light comes on during normal conditions, he knows it would
mean the MCB has tripped - that strikes me as being the optimum solution.

That's me!

http://www.diybanter.com