Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smoke detectors - separate breaker

In article ,
Richard Russell writes:
In our (new build) house the three linked, mains (and battery)
powered, smoke detectors were supposed to be fed from a separate
breaker in the consumer unit. Except that they weren't - at some
point during the build the connection was broken and the only
practical way to restore operation was to wire them into the lighting
circuit instead. The electricians assure me it's perfectly OK to do
that, but what are the pros and cons of having a separate breaker for
the smoke detectors?

IMO, it's much better to have the smoke detectors on a lighting
circuit. You will notice quickly if they aren't working, and
there's no temptation to trip them off to hush them, and then
forget.

--
Andrew Gabriel