Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceramic Disc Capacitor Value?

Adrian wrote:
HI George

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:53:29 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
Its leaky as noticable on the PCB
Unusual for a ceramic (no liquid to leak)

Geo
Sorry for the high definition.
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cap.jpg
It hasn't leaked, its been fried

What does the underside tracks look like.

Dunno? have not vetured that far yet until I aquire the replacement cap,no
sense in making work for meself till I have the cap ie they're a pain in the
backside removing TV circuit boards especially when its a combo video/TV.
:-(

Don't know 'why' it's failed - could be the cap itself or 'something
else' - but whatever the reason it managed to get very hot before it
failed - the 'deposit' on the board looks like boiled copper from the
component lead.

The worrying possibility is a short between primary and secondary on the
mains transformer.

You may find that there are burnt / fused tracks on the underside of
the board..... in which case the blown up capacitor may be the least
of your problems g

Also - the cross-hatching on the PCB indicates (I think) areas which
are 'live' and can bite - so take care....

Good luck
Adrian