Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default how to build in shelves cottage style

J. Cameron Davis wrote:
I want to build in shelves along a 10' long wall, floor to ceiling
shelves. I want them to be cottage/country style. I also want them to be
cheap but look really good. Can anyone guide me to online resources with
pictures of something similar, or even of a different style, so I can
get some idea of how to build these? I'm thinking about using those
thick construction grade boards that are about 3" wide, and making each
shelf with three or four of them run side by side. Then painted white
and maybe some sort of paint treatment to make them look antique. I have
no idea how to do vertical supports. Don't want to buy shelf brackets.
Too expensive since I would need a large quantity. Any ideas about
something I can build? Thanks.

I've done something similar.

Use 1" x 10" x 10' or 1" x 12" x 10' pine for shelves. Screw a 10' 2x4
to the underside of the rear of each to give structural support and
prevent sagging, so you can get buy with three uprights (one on each
end, and one in the middle). Screw three 3.5" sections of 2x4 to the
underside of the front of each shelf, one on each end, and one in the
middle.

At each end, and in the middle, construct vertical supports out of 93"
2x4s with front to back 2x4s (shelf depth + 3") at the top and bottom,
screwed into the vertical supports. Fasten the 96" uprights to the wall
studs somehow (the two ends should be at studs by default if they're on
each end of a wall).

Screw each shelf into place between the uprights.

You might get by with only uprights on each end if you're not loading
the shelves with stuff like books, but a 10 foot span is too much if
your heavily loading the shelves, as they'll sag.

As to "looking really good" since these are country style, I guess they
should be stained with some sort of stain that you think looks good.

As to cheap, 2x4's are cheap, but even 1"x10"x10' pine isn't all that
cheap. I guess you could use particle board, but that would really look
crappy. Your big expense will be in the shelf boards.

Look at the Sunset book on _Wall Systems and Shelving_ at the library.
There are many interesting ways to do vertical supports. One method is
floor to ceiling 2x4s with dowels front to back. You'd want four sets of
supports with a 2.5' span for each section. You can use copper tubing
and threaded rod.