Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Look at airtabs.com
The RV trailer shown is my buddy's trailer.
We did a test, using my Corvair Aircraft engine to produce the wind,
to see how much difference there was. Without the airtabs, ropes tied
to the back corners of the trailer crossed behind the trailer and
snapped against the back of the trailer viciously. With the airtabvs
the roaps streamed out over 15 feet straight behind the trailer. I was
IMPRESSED.

That was the point I was trying to get across to TMT.
A long streamlined body just isn't necessary.
In fact, often counter productive due to the increase in
wetted surface.

Richard

that was prolly me and not TMT. it was just that i'd never seen an airplane
or a america's cup racing boat with a squared off tail like a semi truck
cargo box. i figured if it was more efficient to use a vortex generator
we'd see a lot more rectangular airplanes and racing boats, etc.

b.w.

(i still find it hard to believe vortex generators are better than a good
streamlined design. i always figured they were a patch fix (for a design
that can't be altered, as in a box truck) or they improve upon already good
streamlining.)