Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:00:55 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I can tell you precisely within my set of standards. "Is" and "Ain't"
(streamlined) are the criteria. Jag/Lotus vehicles IS. Fiestas,
Hummers, box vans AIN'T.

Coefficient of drag, 1992 Ford Crown Victoria: 0.33. Fiesta: 0.41. Hummer
H2: 0.57. Lotus 7: 0.7. Brick: 2.1. g

thud I never woulda thunk it for the Lotus OR the Fiesty.

That's not total drag, of course, because you have to multiply Cd by frontal
area for that. Then the Lotus looks better. But so does the brick.

Looks can be deceiving when it comes to aerodynamic drag. The 1962 Porsche
356 Carrera Coupe had a Cd of 0.39; just slightly better than the Fiesta,
and somewhat worse than the Crown Victoria. I've gotten enough surprises on
this that I don't even try to guess anymore.

I hear ya.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.