Posted to alt.home.repair
Jones Jones is offline

Default Security System

The Midnight Gardener wrote in message

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 04:33:16 -0400, "Jones"
wrote:

That would depend on your budget and your determination.
I installed a DVR card in a computer and use many
different camera types but never get great results with
night surveillance. How many cameras do you want to use?

i will be using 4 cameras

What
is your ballpark budget

Ballpark budget of 500.00 to 1000.00
and are you willing to do some building?

Not sure what you mean by building.

I mean if you would be willing to build a camera enclosure to assure
weather Proofing or you just want stock cameras.

Do you want
a plug'n'play setup? Can you building some enclosures to
house some cameras? Do you want wireless or wired?

I want wireless unless there is going to be a range
problem. I would like to place the DVR at the television,
so the farthest camera from here would be about 30 to 50
feet. Currently I have a wirless dsl router at the tv
that I use for the internet connection and to download
movies from Direct TV.

Wireless can be costly if you want a good signal but 50 ft is not that far.
The picture quality can be an issue with cheap wireless systems. Zoom is a
good feature for getting in close enough to ID a person. Wide angle viewing
mostly will not give you a good image of a face. As I mentioned a very cheap
way to go can be adding an old used Handycam. I have several purchased for
about $50 and work very well in limited light. You would need to construct
a weather proof box which are a bit larger than some on the smaller cameras
made for survailence. I have some that are mounted inside a bedroom window
that work well. There are cheap Rotating Camera Platforms like
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...OTC-GOOGLEBASE

Do you want tilt,pan and zoom? There are so
many options.

Don't really care about tilt, pan or zoom. The most
important thing for me is; can I see the hoodlums face or
vehicle in the dark at 30 feet well enough to ID them.

You have to seach for wireless security systems:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ of which there are many. I installed a
DVR card http://netpromax.net/ for a bit about $160.00 which has 4 video
inputs but you can get them with many more or you can get DVR box that needs
no computer. I can output signal to TV or monitor switchable. When someone
rings the doorbell I can change the channel and see who is at the door.

Radio Shack and other stores have cheap 2.4 Gig wireless systems that can
output to TV or you can spend much more. I have combined many systems cheap
and expensive and can supply you with many more references if you need any
more personal information on what might meet your needs.

Try he

http://www.cctvforum.com/index.php

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com