Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening

Greg Kroll wrote:
So I currently have a 74" Pella sliding glass door in my kitchen. After 35+
years it is literally falling apart. I came across a good deal on a "Hurd 6'
all wood doors, "FPD 3/4" Insl", antique trim and handle" but it is for a
71" rough opening. I'm wondering if I could add a stud at either end (all on
one end?) to make the opening smaller? I figure as long as I attached this
??"cripple stud"?? to the jack studs with like 3" screws it should work
fine. What do you guys think?

--Greg

That is done all the time. You are just adding more support for
your header, which is always a good thing. I would add an equal
amount on both sides, then you may need some wider door casing
and exterior trim to cover the extra width. Be prepared when you
add the blocking by running a bead of caulk between the existing
trimmers and the new blocking to help seal out air infiltration,
then foam the space between door and framing.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.