BigWallop

Default Wiring a CAT5e home network

"Martin" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

I can use the cat5 for ... video (via adaptors that are
available, which also allow remote control data) hard wire a link

etc.

Haven't come across this before. Can you say a little more about

video
via
Cat 5, please? What adaptors? Where / price? Or a URL?

Eh !!!! You haven't heard of it ? You want to buy a system ? :-))

Will think about that, thanks, but by all means send me one for "field
trials". I'll then report back in a couple of years ;-)

Seriuosly though, it's been available for many years.

http://www.scene-double.co.uk/sdlink.htm

Thanks, Pillow Bag and Stephen.

I hadn't stopped to think about the word "video". Have I understood the
links correctly in thinking that squirting the (analogue) video o/p from

my
VCR to a tv via Cat5E is not really feasible?

--
Martin

[remove barrier to reply]

You can use UTP CAT5 Cable through the SCART connections to transfer video
and sound from any other appropriate outputs on other appliances. It is
more convenient than running separate coaxial and data cabling if you want
to use remote switching of receiver boxes and things, but, as you have
already quest, the appliances have to be compatible with each other to make
it work fully.

It's also possible to take the output for the Audio and PC monitor, PS/2 or
S-Video output to the SCART socket over UTP CAT5 Cable if you want to show
DVD's from the PC and save yourself buying a separate player for under the
Tele'.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com