Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD[_2_] JD[_2_] is offline

Default Just a bit of a brag

Because som many question the type wood (including myself), I went back to
the farm and dug through the grass for the log (not that hard being 3 foot
thick). Upon closer inspection, I come to realize that I was incorrect on my
first observation. The log is, in fact, black walnut. No excuses from me,
just didn't look close enough the first time. My nose kept telling me that
this thing smelled like walnut but I let my pride in woodsmanship override
my better senses.
Thank you to everyone for correcting my mistake. Walnut sells better than
poplar (not that poplar that looked like walnut wouldn't sell) and I've a 3'
thick by 9' log of it.
Again, thanks and I apologize for the confusion.

JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

wrote in message
On Mar 25, 5:56 pm, "JD" wrote:
And the teacher in me wants to ask, can anyone identify this wood? I know
what it is only because I cut it from the log, but it surprised me in the
color.
JD"JD " james.smithremove wrote in message

The students in 2 of my classes are hosting an annual charity fishing
tournament. One of these students come to me wanting to donate something

JD I'd swear it is Black Walnut, I do NOT believe it is Poplar, never
mind the color streaks they are also comon enough in Black Walnut, it
is the grain that screams WALNUT, just MO.
And yes you two should go in business together, awesome job you did.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

to the event that could be auctioned or raffled. I asked her what she
would bring and she informed me that she has been doing some wood buring
and thought she could create something nice for the event. I told her if
she was interested I'd bring her something to work on. The result of our
efforts can be seen at the following link. I turned a simple plate. She
made it into something AMAZING. These kids amaze me everytime I turn
around. Take a look at her work and give feedback please. I plan on
sharing this with her.

http://www.wku.edu/hilltopperclassic...efishplate.htm

Thanks,
JD