Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Cabinet

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote:

I am in the process of designing a tool cabinet to hold my most
precious hand tools. I figure it will be approximately 4' wide by 3'
tall by 8 to 12" deep, with two doors. It will hold hand planes from
24" jointer to my smallest block plane and many in between. It will
also hold marking tools, chisels, measuring tools, screw drivers
etc.

This is a project that cries out for some old time industrial
engineering utilizing plant layout skills.

This time, the right software program will be to die for, and no I not
qualified to comment on such programs, only the end result of what
they can produce.

If it were me, I'd make a detail file of each tool as well as a
suggested drawer size.

Layout a drawer fitting all the tool details required to go into that
drawer, then play "putty/takey" until you get the drawer size and
internal configuration for that group of tools that you like.

Repeat as required for addditional drawers until tool cabinet design
is complete.

My guess is that the engineering time will approach the construction
time, but what the heck..............

Have fun.

Lew