Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly off topic, but...

efgh wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

"Nova" wrote in message

Robert Allison wrote:

My question is about rats. I have a shop that has been invaded
by rats and I am currently without a cat that catches mice and
rats. My old cat kept them at bay, but the new one just likes to
watch them, apparently.

Anyway, I have set out rat traps and I have shot 2 with my pellet
gun. The first night with the traps I caught 3 rats. After 3
more nights with reset traps and new bait, not a single rat.

I am wondering if rats learn to avoid traps after they see what
they do, or did I get them all the first night? I don't know if
I am just lucky and there were only five rats, or whether they
all left after realizing they weren't welcome, or whether they
have learned to avoid being seen and to avoid the traps.

Anyone know?

I noticed that you said that you reset the traps. Assuming they are the
snap type traps, I was always instructed to discard a used trap as it
will carry a scent that rats/mice will avoid. I've always used a fresh
trap.

Victor, the maker of traps, suggests the same thing (question 18):

http://www.victorpest.com/faq_mouse_rat.htm#q18

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

i handle the traps with latex gloves, and after setting them, light
matches next to them and waft the sulfur smoke over them to mask scents.
seems to work really well for mice.

I've been using the same trap for about 4 years now and have great success
with catching mice. Usually whenver there's signs of a mouse having visited
an area, I put the trap down with a bit of peanut butter and there's usually
one in the trap by morning. I've caught mice within a couple of hours with
the same trap as well.

That is my experience as well. I have never used anything but
the four traps that I have (one of them seems to be missing,
right now). They have all caught rats before, and they caught
the rats again, this time.

So far, so good. No mice footprints, no activity, no more
captures. I think they are gone.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.